Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Coll 101 Assignment, Part 3

3. After attending a seminar at the college fair, describe its content and evaluate the information received.

The workshop I attended was “How to Write a Better College Essay.” I found the information very useful. She had been a dean of admissions, and she has read literally thousands of essays. The speaker told us the importance of a few main items, the first one being something as simple as follow the directions. Her next points stressed the importance of personal voice in your essay. She said be real, be yourself, use whatever talents you have. One of the best pieces of advice she gave me was to play to your strengths. If you are good at creative writing, then write it like a story. I didn’t know you could do that, I thought it had to follow the traditional essay format, that’s something I will be using when I write my own college entrance essays. She said there have been many cases where she could see talent, but the student’s refusal to brag about their own qualities in their essay may have cost them admission. She was entertaining, and what I learned in that seminar I will be able to use in other essays as well, so that was 30 minutes of my time very well spent.

No comments: